If you take the path to the left, as you enter from the Keighley Road entrance. Or alternatively walk along side Coppice pond but continue up the hill. You will come to Lady Blantyre's Rock. Take the path up the right hand side of the rock and you will face a granite pinnacle, dedicated to the memory of William Busfeild Ferrand.

The monument had, up to a few years ago, an open aspect, looking across to St David’s Ruin near 'Black Hills', Wilsden, Cullingworth and the moors above Hebden Bridge. Trees have now grown so that there is very little to see around the monument other than foliage. There are however picnic benches and table if you want to recover from the walk up the hill.

Three of the four panels below the spike are carved with text, these are as follows: -

Ferrand Monument

In Bingley Cemetery rests
William Ferrand of St Ives
who so affectionately dedicated
the rustic monument below
this rock to my dear mother
and I Fanny Mary Ferrand
his loving wife dedicated this
memorial to his dear and
lamented memory.
In early life he took an active
part in support of the ten hours
factory bill and after seventeen years
of ceaseless effort he assisted
as MP for Knaresbro in carrying
it through the House of Commons.

He brought under notice the
iniquity of the truck system
and a stringent law was passed
to compel the payment of wages
in the current coin of the realm.
He vigorously exposed the harsh
clauses of the poor law, until
they were removed from the statute
book, and he was the firm denouncer
of all corruption among public men.
He planted about 400acres of wood
for the benefit of thr property and
to beautify his native place.

He was MP for Knaresbro from
1841 to 1847 and for Devenport
from 1863 to 1865 was a deputy
Lieutenant of the West Riding and
acted as a magistrate for nearly
50 years during a great portion of
which time he presided as chairman
of the Keighley Petty Sessional
Division in perfect harmony with
his fellow magistrates.
He died 31st March 1889
in his 80th year.

The following notes on W.B Ferrand were sent to us by Brenda Graham, who has ancestral links with the Ferrands via the Richardson family. - Ed.

William Busfeild (Busfeild is the correct spelling) was born at Cottingley Bridge in 1809 the home of his mother Sarah (nee Ferrand) and Currer Fothergill Busfeild. The family was not a wealthy one and at times was supported by both Edward and Walker Ferrand. The Ferrands were perhaps endowed with more wealth than the Busfeilds but the Busfeilds were proven intellects and University educated. They served their respective areas in many ways from practising law and serving as JPs to ministers of the church. Johnson Atkinson had married Elizabeth Busfeild in 1765. She was the sole heiress to her uncle Thomas Busfeild of Ryshworth and in time Johnson Atkinson added Busfeild to his name. In days gone by a change of family name was not uncommon, enabling a continuation of the family estates to a blood relative, who did not bear the family name. There was an element of retaining the power and wealth of a family but it also allowed the continuation of a dynasty. Edward Ferrand who died in 1837 was described as a very kindly man. He had inherited the Ferrand estates from Benjamin Ferrand of St Ives and was married to Frances Holden. They had one daughter Frances who married Richard Paul Amphlet. Edward’s sister Jane born in 1775, the eldest daughter of John Ferrand married the Rev. Charles Benjamin Charlewood. Their son Benjamin Charlewood, would have inherited St Ives but sadly died aged 21 in 1817 and was only a child when Benjamin Ferrand died in 1803. Edward became Lord of the Manors of Cottingley, Oakworth, Allerton cum Wilsden and Crossley.

It was by a chance of genealogical fate, which allowed Sarah Busfeild to inherit St Ives and her eldest son William to follow suit and inherit St Ives after her death in 1854, both changing their name to Ferrand by Royal Licence and assuming the Arms of Ferrand. William Busfeild firstly married Sarah Priestley in 1831. They had two children, a son William Busfeild born in 1831, who died unmarried in 1865 and Sarah Harriette who married Edward Hailstone. Sadly William’s wife Sarah (nee Priestley) died following the birth of her daughter in 1832. The Priestley family featured strongly in the Ferrand and Busfeild family tree. Apart from William marrying Sarah, his brother Johnson Atkinson Busfeild married Mary Elizabeth Priestley and his sister Katherine married Charles Priestley. It was Johnson Atkinson Busfeild who did so much research on the Ferrand and Busfeild family history and published his history privately in 1875, there is, however, a copy in the Bradford Public Library.

In John Ward’s biography of William Busfeild Ferrand he describes the young William as a bit of a rebel, who argued with his teachers and left school at 16 without qualifications. This rebelliousness held him in good stead in later years, when he argued very strongly and successfully in parliament for the rights of the working man, women and children. He was a large man, had a strident and deep voice with which he opined his views to dramatic affect; often to the chagrin of others. To his credit, he championed the causes of the working man all his life and did a lot of good in his hometown of Bingley. He was the Squire of St Ives and latterly married to Fanny Mary Stuart, Lord Blantyre’s daughter, and could have simply enjoyed all that this lifestyle gave him. But, he never lost sight of either his responsibility to St Ives, nor to his convictions and commitment to fighting for the working man. In 1863 - 1865 he became the Tory MP for Devonport (previously he had been MP for Knaresborough from 1841 - 1847.) Devonport was the dockland and Naval base of Plymouth and at that time there was a lot of poverty and discontent. When he lost the seat in 1865, because of the negligence of his agent, he retired from politics and the workers of Devonport were so impressed with him they presented him with a Silver Grecian Vase bearing the inscription:

Presented to W Ferrand Esq., of St Ives, Bingley by 2,539 contributors of the working classes of the borough of Devonport and the township of East Stonehouse as a token of their high esteem.

For the people of Devonport, at that time, to be impressed with a Tory MP was unusual to say the least and shows William Ferrand’s genuine compassion for the people he served. He could not tolerate corruption or cheating of any kind and this applied to all classes. He was unerringly loyal and had many friends in Parliament who were all fighting for reform in the era of the Industrial Revolution, which brought with it such a massive change in the country. Parliament was as never before and it needed tough and compassionate men to oppose the exploitation of ordinary working people. It does appear though, that despite William Ferrand’s genuine respect and admiration for women, he was quite chauvinistic in his point of view, questioning why women should ever want to have any money.

In 1847 William Ferrand married the Hon. Fanny Mary Stuart and there was much rejoicing in the town and countryside around Bingley. In later years William was to drop the name Busfeild.

After the death of William Ferrand, St Ives passed to his nephew also William Busfeild who changed his name to Ferrand. He was the last member of the family to own St Ives.

Fanny Mary Stuart was the daughter of Robert Walter Stuart (11th Lord Blantyre) and Fanny Mary Rodney. Both the Stuart and Rodney pedigrees are impressive. James the VI of Scotland (I of England) bestowed the lands and Priory at Blantyre to his cousin Walter Stuart who was born in 1556. Walter Stuart took the title Lord Blantyre in 1606. James VI’s father Lord Darnley was the son of Matthew Stuart 4th Earl of Lennox. Matthew Stuart was related to James V of Scotland. The marriage of Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley produced James V1 of Scotland (to become James I of England) and so Matthew Stuart was James VI grandfather. Mary Queen of Scots was the daughter of James the V of Scotland who was married to Margaret daughter of Henry VII of England. The Royal Stuart line goes back many centuries and includes Robert the Bruce, the famous warrior.

Fanny Mary Stewart’s father Robert Walter Stuart was a highly decorated Army officer reaching the rank of Major General. He was killed by a shot during the insurrection of Brussels in 1830. Fanny’s sister Caroline Stuart married William Rashleigh of Menabilly near Fowey who was the MP for East Cornwall in 1841 - 1847. William Rashleigh was a firm friend of William Busfeild Ferrand and there were frequent visits to Rashleigh’s London home. This is where William Ferrand became acquainted with and courted the beautiful Hon. Fanny Mary Stuart and they subsequently married in 1847. It was Fanny Mary and her mother Lady Blantyre who oversaw the reconstruction and the interior decoration of St Ives. William and Fanny Ferrand had one son Hugo born a year after their marriage who died in London in 1876/7 aged 28. Nothing has been written or recorded, outside the family, about this son and it is presumed he may, sadly, have been mentally impaired. After the death of her mother Lady Blantyre, she and her husband William, moved to Cannes in Southern France and spent her remaining years there dying in 1896.

Suggested reading: John Ward’s book WB Ferrand ‘The Working Man’s Friend’ printed by Tuckwell Press and probably available to lend from the Public Library. The web sites: Cottingley Connect and Powys-Lybbe Ancestry (a miscellany of genealogy including the Ferrand pedigree. The Bradford Archives hold a lot of information on the family and the estates. Two books written in the late 1800s Harry Speight’s ‘Old Bingley’ and Horsefall Turners Ancient Bingley contain invaluable information.

Brenda Graham 2009

Since receiving the above contribution, Brenda Graham has sent us part of a letter by Sarah Ferrand to Jan Hudig in Holland. This letter describes the home coming to St Ives after William Ferrand's second marriage on 10th August 1847 at St James Westminster to the daughter of the 11th Lord Blantyre. Please note that this was written prior to the exchange of place names. In those days: Harden Grange was what we know as St Ives and St Ives of that date was what we know as Harden Grange.

“On the happy day the Bingley Bells began to ring early in the morning & continued to do so at times - two bands of Music there. At one of the hotels or as we call them, one of the Inns, Dawson presided and 150 set down to dinner and had as much Ale and Punch as they liked (by Punch I mean spirit and water with lemons and sugar), they were tenants; at another Inn the tradesmen about 150 dines & they were treated with abundance and wine etc. - another Inn were at least as many, who had an excellent dinner etc., the old people at the workhouse or poorhouse, likewise had dinner and in the afternoon the women and children had tea in very abundant manner at the National School, where there was plenty of room for them and later in the evening they danced there and people poured into Bingley from all the neighbouring villages and the dancing and feasting were kept up till long past daylight - I am not sure that there was one really sober man in the town of Bingley. On the day the happy pair arrived, they drove thro’ the park and past St Ives as fast as four grey horses would carry them - we all waved our handkerchiefs and away they went. On reaching the lodge on the road to Bingley were met by crowds of people who cheered them and would have taken off the horses and dragged them up the hill to Harden Grange, but they were wiser. A band of Music too met them and when they arrived within these gates my sons troop of Yeomanry Cavalry were on each side of the road to receive them, mounted on their horses and the men in full uniform”.

Brenda Graham 2010

Bingley Gooseberries

Whilst this next item relates to Ferrand History, its connection with what we now call St Ives is tenuous in that the Ferrands were then at what we now call Harden Grange but was then called St Ives.

Bingley Gooseberry Soc As you leave Bingley on the A650, heading towards Bradford, you will pass, on the right hand side, just before Cottingley Bridge, an area of allotments. This was formerly Ferrand land that was made into allotments at the instigation of Mr W.B. Ferrand. Speight1 tells us that the making of the allotments had the effect of withdrawing a good many men from low pursuits, such as cock-fighting. Mr. Disraeli and Lord John Manners were both at the opening which was reported in the Leeds Intelligencer for October 19th 1844. He goes on to tell us that some of the finest gooseberries produced in England were grown in these plots and that the Bingley Gooseberry Society had an excellent reputation; the National Show having been held here.

Our picture shows the society on a photograph marked 1913, in pencil on the back. On the scales is a giant Gooseberry. Is this the champion one that had a circumference of six inches?

Sybil

On one visit by Disraeli there was a trip to Druids Alter and this was included in the topography for part of Disraeli's novel Sybil. W.B. Ferrand was a member of the 'Young England Party' of which Disraeli was a leading member. Disraeli's sentiments in this direction show in the novel.

Ref. #1 Old Bingley, Harry Speight, 1898 Elliot Stock'